Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cayuga Lake and the Finger Lakes

Memorial Day weekend we went to Amy's Lake House on Cayuga Lake.
Cayuga is one of a group of lakes known as the Finger Lakes. This is a picture of what they look like.
Can you guess why they're called the Finger Lakes?
The names of them are (from East to West or Right to Left): Otisco Lake, Skaneateles Lake, Owasco Lake, Cayuga Lake, Seneca Lake, Keuka Lake, Canandaigua Lake, Honeoye Lake, Canadice Lake, Hemlock Lake, and Conesus Lake.
Here, on a roadmap, you can see where they are and where Webster and Rochester are.

It took us less than an hour and a half to get from Webster to Cayuga Lake.
Cayuga Lake is the longest of the Finger Lakes, it is just under 40 miles long.  We were close to the northern end (top) of the lake but at the southern end is Cornell University and Ithaca College.
To learn more about the Finger Lakes you can go to this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_Lakes

Anyway, I had another fun weekend even though there weren't any kids there.  Bailey, the yellow lab that I met at the plant exchange was there and we had a lot of fun because she likes to play all the time.  She likes to swim after her toy in the water and bring it back.  I couldn't go in swimming though, Grandma wouldn't let me.  Larry was really glad I was there because we were the only boys.

I met Ashmi, who just moved here from India.
She had never heard of Flat Stanley before so I told her all about me and she talked about life in India.  She had servants to do everything for her in India, now she's going to have to learn to do a lot of things by herself, like hang pictures in her new apartment and wash her own dishes.

We went for a hike to the falls along Big Gully Creek. 
Along the way we saw a bunch of tadpoles
 and minnows

We had to walk in the Creek a lot and climb over trees that fell down.   When we finally got to the Falls, there wasn't that much water because it hasn't rained in a long time, but I got my picture taken anyway.
 Here I am with Grandma and Bailey with the Falls in the background
We saw some pretty butterflies

No comments:

Post a Comment